When it comes to the battle against premature aging, we want our patients to be prepared! Do you know what to watch out for? If you’re concerned about wrinkles, here are 5 Things to Avoid:
- The Sun. When it comes to premature aging, the biggest culprit is usually overexposure to the sun. Contributing not only to fine lines and wrinkles, UV rays can also lead to skin discoloration and worst of all, an increased risk for developing skin cancer. Make sure you’re using an adequate daily sunscreen, and think twice before you jump into a tanning bed this season!
- Smoking. Smoking isn’t just bad for our health – it can also take a huge toll on our appearance. This is because smoking damages collagen and elastin, proteins that keep skin looking springy and youthful. That’s just one more reason to kick the habit today!
- Sugar. Think too much sugar only affects your waistline? Think again! Researchers are now looking at the connection between too much sugar and premature aging – and, it all has to do with something called “glycation.” Elle Magazine featured this topic in a recent article explaining that “When those [skin] proteins hook up with renegade sugars, they become discolored, weak, and less supple … This shows up on the skin’s surface as wrinkles, sagginess, and a loss of radiance.”
- Alcohol. While a glass of wine with dinner probably won’t hurt you, it seems that too much alcohol could contribute to facial sagging. This is based on the fact that too much alcohol creates sky-high levels of inflammatory agents in the skin.
- Stress. Take a breath – your skin may thank you! While we all know stress isn’t good for our overall health, researchers are now looking at how chronic stress and anxiety may be linked to accelerated aging!